Guidance and Counselling
A comprehensive Career Guidance and Counselling service is available to all students at Enniscorthy Vocational College. Counselling helps students to grow in self-knowledge and self-esteem by providing them with the relevant information to make constructive life choices and future plans. The Guidance Counsellors help the students to recognise the range of alternatives available to them following the completion of the Leaving Certificate or a Post Leaving Certificate course.
The aims of the Guidance programme are as follows:
- Overcome any information deficit on careers/education.
- Foster a sense of personal responsibility for identifying future educational/vocational goals.
- Assist students with subject choices at various stages in their secondary education.
- Introduce and foster a process of evaluating realistically, attainable career/higher education goals.
- Provide experiences that enhance career development and equip students to make a successful transition to the world of work or higher education.
Currently Guidance and Counselling in the school is provided by Ms. Avril Murphy.
Each class in the school is assigned a Class Tutor while each year has a Year Head. The Class Tutor has particular concern for the well-being and academic progress of each student in the class. Teachers act as Class Tutors in an entirely voluntary capacity and in doing so provide a valuable service as part of the pastoral care programme of the school.
The Class Tutor can advise and consult with individual students about their academic progress, general behaviour, appearance and observation of school rules etc. An individual student can consult with the Class Tutor about any school related problem.
Class Tutors 2016/17
1 Hazel Ms. S. Walsh
1 Alder Ms. J. Doyle
1 Pine Ms. T. Ryan
1 Oak Ms. E. Bolger
1 Holly Mr. L. O'Toole
2 Oak Ms. T. Somers
2 Birch Ms. T. Parker
2 Alder Mr. D. Murphy
2 Yew Mr. K. O'Hara
2 Ash Ms. P. Asple
3 Holly Ms. N. Doyle
3 Pine Ms. T.O'Byrne
3 Birch Ms. S. O'Donovan
3 Rowan Mr. T. Sweeney
3 Hazel Ms. A. Nolan
5A Mr. J. Murphy
5B Ms. K. Kennedy
5C Mr. J. Connolly
5D Ms. A. Walsh
5LA Mr. P. Martin
6A Mr. B. Stack
6B Ms. B. Kelly
6C Ms. H. O'Brien
6LA(1) Mr. C. Dempsey
6LA(2) Ms. A. Murphy
Year Heads 2016-17
The Year Head on behalf of the school community takes on the role of overseeing the welfare of a year group so that learning, at every level of the person, is supported.
The Year Head will:
- Monitor lates and absenteeism.
- Praise and acknowledge student progress.
- Ensure the year group follow Code of Behaviour.
- Use appropriate sanctions when required.
- Facilitate parental contact.
- Support students at risk; address the needs of vulnerable students.
- Meet with Class Tutors on a regular basis.
- Meet with Principal and Deputy Principal to discuss and review issues concerning the year group.
- Oversee the academic progress of their students.
- Conduct assemblies on a regular basis.
At the end of each academic year the Year Head moves on with their group right up to sixth year, this allows for continuity and facilitates the formation of strong positive relations between Year Head and students. The Year Heads for the academic year 2016-2017 are as follows:
||Mr. D. Meehan
||Mr .L. Maher
||Ms. T. Merriman
||Ms. M. Stafford
||Mr. J. Flynn